Re: [OM] PayPal goes international at last!

Subject: Re: [OM] PayPal goes international at last!
From: "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 13:38:16 -0000
Andrew Fildes wrote:
> 2.6% +30 cents for currency exchange alone? I think they only charge 1.9%
+
> 25 cents for the actual service. Starts to look a tad expensive, no?
> How do BidPay and Billpoint compare?

>From a buyer's point of view BidPay charges you $5 for anything up to $100,
pro-rata after that, whereas Billpoint don't add to the cost of your money
order but give you a dollar back instead. So for amounts up to $100, BidPay
is always $6 dearer than Billpoint. Sadly though not many sellers will take
Billpoint whereas almost anybody will accept BidPay even if their auction
details didn't say so at the time.

I've just heard from a Russian seller that BidPay's MOs aren't acceptable to
the financial institutions there simply because the space for the
purchaser's details is always left blank. Here's a warning to eBay bidders
outside the USA on Russian Federation auctions that say that credit card
payments can be made through CCNow, the Russian retail orgnisation: Their
website says that they can take payments ONLY from US buyers, a fact that
the seller was unaware of until I mentioned it.

Larry wrote (about PayPal):
> >You're charged when currency has to be converted from or to US dollars.
The
> >charge is 2.6% + 30 cent transaction fee. That's it.

Does this apply to buyers with Personal accounts? I went through the motions
of registering with them for an international Personal account and their
chart implied that everything is free as long as no more than $500 per month
is paid to you. More than that and you get switched to a Business account -
and charged accordingly.

Regards,
Keith Berry, Birmingham, UK.