Re: [OM] Olympus FTL info

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus FTL info
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 19:35:52 -0800
On Sat, 4 Nov 2000, Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> I'm just off to tell my beloved black SP
>>> that I can get Zuiko lenses for him! (200/4 screw mount?! Yum)
>>
>>Yup, that will work, but do not attempt to mount SMC Takumar lenses
>>on an FTL body, or you may cause mechanical damage to the camera.
>
>Having never actually seen one - a dumb/blind question. Would they
>stop down on an SP in the same way as a Takumar or does the extra
>coupling cause problems, as I believe sometimes happens with a
>Fujica lens.

The FTL Zuikos have an on-lens actuator similar to the Takumars'
"AUTO-MANUAL" button, so there is no problem using them in the stop
down mode.  Moreover, the "METER ON" lever on the SP will also stop
down the lens.

As I'd mentioned, I found no SP-family bodies which had mechanical
interferences with mounting the FTL Zuikos.  Same goes for the
Fujinons and Mamiya-Sekor SX lenses -- two other screw-mount SLR
brands which were capable of full-aperture metering.

However, the problem you referred to wrt Fujinon (and Mamiya SX) is
that these lenses lack the "AUTO-MANUAL" button, relying instead on
stop down actuators that are built-in in the camera bodies.

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxx
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA