Re: [OM] Enlarging exposure meters

Subject: Re: [OM] Enlarging exposure meters
From: mahlon.r.haunschild@xxxxxx
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 07:46:35 -0600

John,

Since your primary interest seems to be in b/w prints, I'll mention that my
fave rave enlarging exposure meter is the no-longer-made Analite 400.  The
Analite brand is a very old one, and I think Beseler slapped their name on
the products pretty close to the end.  The Analite 400 uses a GaAsP
photodiode, not a CdS cell, and so is unaffected by bright light (no memory
effect).  The Analite 400 lets you measure exposure and assess contrast,
thereby giving yo ua starting point for the VC filter selection.  Ilford
made something equivalent to the 400 at one time (maybe still do) but it's
not the EM-10, which is worthless.  The Paterson 654 may be worth looking
at.

I realize you asked about the "present day" perspective, but Analite 400s
show up quite frequently on eBay so are by no means rare.  You should be
able to get one for, say, $40.  Since there were several Analite products
through the years, you should know that the 400 is the only one worth
having.

For Ilfochrome, you will need a real color analyzer.

regards,

Mahlon