Re: [OM] searching for the perfect 50mm lens....

Subject: Re: [OM] searching for the perfect 50mm lens....
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 15:49:06 -0600
> You will have to decide if the cost of a 50/1.2 is worth it to you for one
> that fast, or whether you can live with the slower speed (by 1-1/6th
stop),
> newest formulation 50/1.8 (MC) at less than half the cost
>
> -- John

I have a couple large prints (11x17) made from slides with the "made in
Japan" 50/1.8 that several people have assumed came from a medium format
source.  Unless the performance wide open is going to be the primary use of
the lens, I would start with a good, used 50/1.8 and see if that doesn't
meet your
needs and then move to the 50/1.2.  Even wide open, I wonder if the 50/1.8
isn't a contender.  At the worst, this would be a $30 experiment.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA