Re: [OM] [OT] As the Winder Turns: Some of the Early Experiments

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] As the Winder Turns: Some of the Early Experiments
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 22:59:47 +0000
At 03:00 11/6/00 , Mickey wrote:
[snip]
>Second, no matter how many disclaimers you put on the posted pictures, they
>are still quite decent. I see what you mean about the contrasty Royal Gold
>film, although the color tone was reasonable with the available light. The
>apparent 'father of the bride's shirt color seemed unusualy well balanced
>for white in that light. I thought the foreground candles in the aisle had a
>lovely bokeh about them. Nice and smooth.

I like the effect of the star-cross although others don't care for it.  It
can distract from other image elements.  In the church with all the candles
down the aisle, I started out wedged in next to a videographer, then picked
up and moved in a little behind him and shot over his shoulder to center
better and get the closest aisle candle out of the frame (it's too big).
Those are among the ones the pro kept for the bride's proof book.  Part of
the pact I made with him was he could use anything I shot if he wanted it.

BTW, when there's a videographer around, you gotta work in harmony as
he/she is going to be looking for similar vantage points!

>As for the shadows of the dark side, they weren't as bad as you described.
>Using the twin flash setup reduce that effect somewhat. But whatever you
>need to do to justify the flash bracket is ok with me!  ;-)

It shows more in the photojournalistic shots.  BTW, I was wedged into a
corner of the men's room standing in a trash can full of damp paper towels
to get the one of the best man adjusting the groom's bow tie.

>I was hoping to see some notes on the actual exposures and focal lengths.
>But listen to me... the man without a note book....

All the 35mm flash work was done using a 50mm f/1.2 Zuiko @ f/8.  All the
MF was flash using an 80mm f/2.8 Sekkor C, the standard focal length for
6x6 and 645, also at f/8.

The avail. light was done 35mm with a 135/2.8 Zuiko wide open @ f/2.8 and
either 1/4 or 1/8 second shutter speed, which is fast enough for people
standing in the distance.  The trick with these is getting done with them
about half-way to two-thirds through the service and using the remaining
time to get ready for "The Kiss."  Most ministers will not allow flash work
from the time they begin speaking until "The Kiss" near the end.

Zoom was accomplished using my LPC's (LPC = Leather Personnel Carrier).
You _can_ do all the flash work using a standard focal length prime.  For
me it is simpler than fussing with a zoom.  The avail. light shots from the
back of the church do require a short telephoto (85, 100 or 135).

>Thanks again and good luck with the event!

Thanks,
-- John