[OM] Scanning and File size mystery

Subject: [OM] Scanning and File size mystery
From: DAVDOU9211@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 15:50:30 EST
Something wierd is going on.  We are using a Plustek Flat bed scanner to scan
color prints for a family reunion project.  The prints are 4x6 and have been
scanned at 300dpi.   Following the scan the file is saved to disc as a JPEG
file.  We then export it to Adobe Photoshop to edit it, and then re-save it
again as a JPEG file.   At this point the file size is usually 350KB to
450KB.  Today, in the middle of the same work session, the file sizes in
Adobe began to be 2,700KB to 3,100KB.  We haven't made any changes in scan
size and are using the same basic editing steps.

It appears that something is happening to the JPEG compression.  Any ideas as
to what strange glitch could be causing this?  The larger file size impacts
storage for backup.

Dave Dougherty