[OM] Only one lens in the backpack (Olympus diet plan)

Subject: [OM] Only one lens in the backpack (Olympus diet plan)
From: Eric Pederson <epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 14:27:26 -0800 (PST)
Just to make certain that you receive the full set of conflicting advice:

Take the tripod and a cable release.
Then see if you can still afford the weight to take two lenses.
If only one lens, decide if the zoom will work with your mini tripod (probably
won't).

Frankly, I'd personally take the 50mm lens.  Light, bright, and versatile.
You can usually walk backwards and forwards. (Except w.r.t. the actual canyon
walls, of course). Take extra water instead of the zoom.

Whatever you select, you'll miss the other lenses you don't bring if
you think about them. So don't think about them! :-) Concentrate on your
subjects...

> In a message dated 11/06/2000 11:09:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> vivey@xxxxxxx writes:
>
> > I am planning on backpacking in the grand canyon and was wondering what
> >  lenses to take.  I am trying to watch weight, so I cant just take
> everything
> >  I have.  I have available to me a 28mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, and 75 to 150 4.0.  I
> >  cant take them all and was wondering what you all suggest.  If you could
> >  suggest two  and also suggest which if I could only take one lens.  I use
> an
> >  Om-1 camera and am thinking of taking a mini folding tripod or maybe just a
> >  monopod, I am not sure yet.  Also which film do you suggest.   Thanks for
> >  any and all input.

=====
Eric Pederson
epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (no "n" in "epederso")