[OM] Re: [OT] Scanning and File size mystery

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Scanning and File size mystery
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 04:28:44 GMT
I'd suggest a different workflow. Scanning 4x6 prints at 300 dpi should produce uncompressed files around 5,000 KB. It's not a good practice to save the scan as a JPEG before editing.

Finally, recompressing a JPEG by the same factor will often result in a larger JPEG. For example, in a test just now I converted an edited uncompressed 5 MB file to a 259 KB JPEG. I then reopened the JPEG, re-edited it and re-saved it at the same quality level. The final JPEG grew to 290 KB.

Further, saving the same original JPEG at the 35 quality level (on a scale of 0-255 from highest to lowest quality) rather than 50, boosted file size from 259 KB to 333 KB with no discernable improvement in image quality.

While this won't account for the extreme difference you noted, I will add that Adobe image editing software exhibited peculiarities and bugs that drove me to use Corel Photo-Paint instead. The main two problems I observed were oversized JPEGs (Photo-Paint produces smaller JPEGs of equal or better quality) and memory management errors, lockups and crashes.
Lex Jenkins
"Don't worry about everything 'cause nothing's gonna be alright."
- Casey Lechmanski

Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 15:50:30 EST
From: DAVDOU9211@xxxxxxx

...prints are 4x6 and have been scanned at 300dpi...the file is saved to disc as a JPEG...We then export it to Adobe Photoshop to edit it, and then re-save it again as a JPEG file...