Re: Re: [OM] [OT] Condition descriptions

Subject: Re: Re: [OM] [OT] Condition descriptions
From: coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 14:04:14 -0700
First, I said...

> > ...Instead of concentrating on so-called rating systems, I focus my
> > attention strictly on the description and the photos.  The more of those
> > there are, the better I like it.  If either one is skimpy or missing, I
> > tend to be *very* cautious about plunking my money down...

To which Keith replied...

> OTOH my small bid on a 35RC with a sparse description in German went
> unopposed. If he'd accurately depicted or described it as having an old
> furry battery in the compartment, the leatherette peeling off the back,
bits
> of missing black paint, general scruffiness, etc., even I probably
wouldn't
> have bid, but half an hour with 3-in-1 chrome cleaner and a black Sharpie
> has transformed it into a good-looking user mini rangefinder camera and
when
> I find my hot glue gun I'll stick the leatherette back down.

Keep in mind that I said I'd be very cautious, *not* that I wouldn't bid.
The key words here, IMHO, are "caveat emptor" (hope my latin spelling is
correct?) or "be aware of what you're bidding on."

F'instance, I got a winder 2 that's definately seen better days.  The word
"brassing" doesn't begin to describe the finish loss it's got, and there's
a small chunk missing off of the base from where it probably landed after
being dropped.  'Bout as butt ugly as you can get, but the danged thing
works wonderfully!  Got it off e-Bay for US$40 which is less than half of
what they're going for these days.  (Yeah, now someone's gonna brag 'bout
the "minty" one they got for US$30!)

The point is, before I bid on the butt ugly winder, I carefully read the
3-line description, and then confirmed with the seller (via e-mail, before
bidding) that it worked.  I even managed to get the seller to give me a
14-day trial period instead of his stated 7-day trial.  Everything worked
out great, and even though it's the ugliest thing in my camera bag I love
it and it'll never leave here alive!  :-)

Hope that clarifies my stance.

Regards,

Chris