Re: [OM] 16mm/3.5 - so thats where that part went!

Subject: Re: [OM] 16mm/3.5 - so thats where that part went!
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 22:41:08 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, John Hermanson wrote:

> I REALLY doubt it's available from Tokyo anyway.  There are many "current"
> items for which major parts are simply not available anymore. IE, front
> element for 50mm f1.2, filter ring for 35mm shift lens, rear mount for same.

It's really sad that Olympus has "decided" to stop carrying many of the
replacement parts, especially for the more uncommon items.  Parts for
the commonly available items such as bodies isn't really a big problem,
you can always find a donor body.  It's the more uncommon items such as
the 16/3.5, 50/1.2, 24shift, 35shift, etc. which I worry about.  What's
going to happen if you accidentally damage the front element of your 24shift
or 350mm/2.8?  If these parts are no longer available, that could make a
several thousand dollar lens worthless just because a few hundred dollar
element isn't available.  Is it worth investing in these expensive lenses
knowing that a single mishap could make the lens useless?  Looking at it
from this perspective, you can understand why some people would consider
switching to Zeiss or Leica systems.  At least your investment is protected
in either of those systems.
                                        -mark