Re: [OM] Re: XA flash shoe

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: XA flash shoe
From: wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 15:03:31 +1100
William wrote:

> The problem with any setting other than the flash is
> the camera will calculate the exposure for the existing
> light and use the calculated exposure for the picture.
> The flash is not considered. You have to fiddle with
> the asa setting to avoid overexposure. That's what I'm
> looking for is an easy way to figure the adjustment.

I would think that it would work as follows:

Turn on flash

Set appropriate aperture for the flash you are using.

Trip shutter.

Flash fires.

Flash quenches when enough light has reflected back to flash sensor.

Shutter closes because camera sensor has just seen enough light (from flash) to
terminate the exposure.

So even if the ambient light required an exposure of 5 sec., the exposure
actually ends when the flash is quenched.  (not considering various electonic &
mechanical delays inherent in the system).

What do you think ?

...Wayne