Re: [OM] Re: XA flash shoe

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: XA flash shoe
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 10:10:51 -0600
You're partially correct - a CdS cell cannot react to light from a
strobe.  Even changing the intensity of light two or three "stops" will
take several seconds to reach full impact on a CdS cell - and the
typical maximum duration of a strobe is in the neighborhood of
1/10,000th second, often faster.

One correction on the XA's function, however - they actually use two CdS
cells, one of which controls only the meter needle in the finder, the
other being connected to the circuit that controlls the exposure.  There
is no "memory" function - in other words, the exposure isn't "set" when
the release button is pressed, it is judged in real time.  The exposure
control circuit keeps the shutter's electro-magnet energized (keeping
the shutter blades opening/open) until it registers that enough light
has struck the CdS cell to provide a proper exposure - then it
de-energizes the electro-magnet, allowing the blades to begin closing.
The exposure during this closing time is included in the exposure
calculation.