Re: [OM] T32 flash angled straight up.

Subject: Re: [OM] T32 flash angled straight up.
From: Acer V <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 21:07:52 -0800 (PST)
On Fri, 4 Jan 1980, Norma Foltz wrote:

>The T32 flash can be flipped up to various degrees.

up to a bit over 90 deg, down to bit over 15 (flip head up, move slider to
lock out or allow down angle)

>This is for bounce flash, right?

yup

>What will be the effect of having the flash pointing straight up towards
>the ceiling ?

you'd lose about 3 stops, and get down bounce...sorta like a huge lightbox
on the ceiling

>Is that how I got extremely low contrast images ?

not sure since there's no link to any photos in message....but contrast
really should not be a big deal with direct or bounce. at close range,
direct flash often gives a "deer caught in the headlights" look, so i
bounce it 45deg up (2-3 stops lost depending on conditions). the upshot is
that the light is very diffuse and soft, quite pleasing. however, there is
a tendency (at short distances) for the Dark Side to show up. that is,
under certain conditions at close range, you CAN find a shadow behind and
below the subject. most non-photo oriented ppl don't see it unless it is
pointed out, but we're a group of photofanatics right? <G> so it might be
of concern. also, there's no "catchlight" in the subjects eyes or any
reflective non-human object, something i miss. the ideal solution would be
like those metz units with large bounce/tilt head and smaller unit that is
fixed to fire forward.

but then i don't do a lot of flashwork so i'll have to defer to the more
seasoned pros. best,

/Acer V
--
dum spiro, spero