[OM] What to do with damaged 135 lens

Subject: [OM] What to do with damaged 135 lens
From: Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 12:08:53 -0500 (EST)
Some time ago I got a Zuiko 135/2.8 lens from a friend who
wanted to throw it away.  The problem is that the front
element of the lens is severely damaged with lots of
little scratches (looks like it was hit by a sand storm).
The lens is still usable, giving a very soft focus, which
I don't mind.  But there is very little contrast.

I've contacted John Hermanson about replacing the front
element and he said the part is long out of stock.  It is
probably not economically reasonable to repair the lens.
So now my questions:
- Does anyone have a front element for this lens that is
  available inexpensively?
- Any suggestions on how to repair the lens economically
  (e.g., re-coat the lens), and who to contact.
- Is there another cure for the low contrast problem (e.g.,
  will using a high contract film help).

Thanks for any suggestions.
        -Dan