Re: [OM] [OT] As the Winder Turns: Some of the Early Experiments

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] As the Winder Turns: Some of the Early Experiments
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 00:47:32 +0000
At 15:40 11/10/00 , Mickey Trageser wrote:
>3. A diffuser that clips on the end of the flash may sufficiently diffuse
>the shadows.

I have a pair of the 21mm WA diffusers (white panels) and they do soften
the light.  I've used one before on a single T-32 in the hot shoe.  I plan
to use them initially for a couple of non-critical shots to see if I get
enough light with them.  They also act like an ND filter on the flash and
reduce effective output (as would any diffuser).  If not, they will come off.

>optimal. Unless you plan on making a living out of this, go with what you've
>made. As I recall you were dragged into this situation. If anyone thinks

"Nudged" into this would be a better characterization given the
circumstances.  There will be no further revisions to the setup until after
this event is over (the closer spaced Rev C).  The thought did cross my
mind about an over/under design that should eliminate all side shadows.

As a general put it to me some time ago (paraphrased):  At some point in
time prior to any operation, you are beyond the point of a better plan.
Any change after that only causes chaos and confusion.

I'm beyond the point of a better plan for next weekend.

The postings (a private email, Steve Goss' and yours) have given me several
ideas that can be used for the traditional family gathering at Christmas
and there's time to play with some things between the wedding and then.
It's not a critical event; they're used to "family snapshots" making it low
risk.

BTW, the alkalines were replaced with AA NiMH cells.  They recharge the
flash noticeably faster than alkalines and should last much longer before
requiring a change.  With 1200 mAH capacity (per AA), I estimate they would
run about 400nger than NiCads (700 mAH ?? capacity).

Thanks,
-- John