[OM] I am humbled ...

Subject: [OM] I am humbled ...
From: Reuben Acciano <rubydoomsday@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 20:32:20 -0500 (EST)
Iam humbled by the generosity and sensitivity of the posters to this group.

To have a half dozen persons distanced from me by about 16000 kilometres and
varying numbers of years offering to post me lenses to do my job properly -
despite having no knowledge of myself besides my textual presence on this
list - is a shining illustration of the best parts of human nature. Even my
buyer has responded with tact and understanding amidst their (entirely
understandable) frustration. I am making every effort to see that everyone
wins in this situation, and your generous offers and support make it that
much easier to behave promptly and ethically. I am declining all of your
offers simply because of my confidence in finding a suitable replacement
here (oz) quickly.

Maybe I'm gilding the lily a bit, but I really can't see a Le*ca user
somewhere on the other side of the globe offering to post me his 21mm
Distagon for a week, or some pro casually lending me his Ni*on F5. Nor would
I want them - it's the artist, not the tools that produce the work.

You are a great bunch of people, and I'm thankful to be considered a part of
this little outlet for our rarefied passion.

Life is nothing without obsession.

Cheers,
Reuben

PS. An Iced Vovo is a rectangular shaped biscuit (cookie) topped with three
equal width stripes - two of pink icing sugar (frosting)split by one of
thick strawberry jam (jelly)  - and all topped with coconut shavings. This
pure sugar rush was a staple of the Arnotts line in Australia throughout the
50s, 60s and 70s (where my childhood just creeps in). There was a sad gap in
the 80s and 90s where this beloved little thermonuclear glucose device
disappeared, much to the chagrin of then undiagnosed AD/HD children and the
relief of parents everywhere. It's back on the shelves now, but in (how
typical...) a sadly diluted form. Or is nostalgia simply colouring my
perceptions like a dog-eared mono print ...