Re: [OM] AA Batteries - sort of OT

Subject: Re: [OM] AA Batteries - sort of OT
From: lclark@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 20:43:54 -0500
In <018b01c04c2d$6420bbc0$1600a8c0@ls>, on 11/11/00 at 04:19 PM,
   "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

>I'm curious. Why do you prefer NiCads?  The have a much bigger problem
>with memory effect. I have a pretty larger number of the Nexcell NiMH
>AAs that I use in everything, with a nice Maha charger.

The memory effect in NiCads has been exaggerated, I think. The effect
will show up if you always discharge the NiCads to exactly the same
point after use, time after time, then recharge them fully. Early cells
were rather more prone to the effect; later ones are not. It's also not
easy to discharge the cells to the same point every time before
recharging. Use them vigorously, try to discharge them fully every
couple of months and give them a good recharge, and they will last quite
a long time.

les clark / edgewater, nj / usa