[OM] Homebrewed flash bounce/diffuser

Subject: [OM] Homebrewed flash bounce/diffuser
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 05:39:40 GMT
John Lind's flash setup reminded me of one of my own. Here's what I use to shoot small items, mostly to illustrate stuff for eBay, etc.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1005538&a=7400079&p=32923430

It's the Marie Callender Special. "Her" pie plates are pretty stiff and hold their shape well after pounding into a rough dome. I used some stainless steel mixing bowls as a form during the shaping.

The rest is pretty easy: a white styrofoam picnic plate; a flash unit facing backward; a non-hot shoe elevating/angle adaptor; and a sync cord. Very lightweight, perfect within six feet or so. Haven't tried it yet on people but I'm sure it'll work fine within a limited range.

The problem with diffusers is the size/distance ratio: to gain distance while retaining the softening effect, a larger diffuser is required. Since the holiday baking season is upon us I'll try a turkey roaster pan sized version.

To see some snaps taken with the rig navigate to my eBay folder on PhotoPoint and check out the last three or four pix of knives and an apothecary spatula. No additional lights or reflectors were used - since I don't have a flash meter I didn't want to complicate things.