Re: [OM] lens "contrast"; keystoning; SCSI card

Subject: Re: [OM] lens "contrast"; keystoning; SCSI card
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 22:52:19 -0800
On Fri, 10 Nov 2000, William Sommerwerck wrote:

It is impossible for a lens to have "excessive" contrast -- that is, to render a wider range of tones than exist in the original image. All a lens can do is
 degrade the original tonal range, by scattering light into the darker areas.
I, for one, do not like "muddy" shadow areas. All other things being equal, I
 would use the lens that rendered the scene more accurately. There are better
 ways to rationally adjust the tonal range of the final image than by letting
 the lens degrade it in an unpredictable and uncontrollable fashion.

   * WARNING * The following post contains a Doris-rant.

            In my humble opinion...

Anyone who can smoke out Doris is worth having around.

Winsor
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California