[OM] re: adaptec scsi as fix for acer

Subject: [OM] re: adaptec scsi as fix for acer
From: atk@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: 12 Nov 2000 14:30:47 -0000
I strongly vote against this solution as expensive and unnecessary. If you
really really want a better card (that is avordable) I'd suggets one based
on the ncr 810 chip (now symbios). There are at least 5 different vendors
selling this card for a price between 25 and 40 us dollars. Unless you are
going to use very fast devices (such as 7200 or 10000  disk drives) or run
a large number of slow devices ad the same time there is no reason to go beyond
a narrow scsi II card.

If you are going to use your scsi card as a boot device you either need
bios support (i.e., asus mother boards) or 815. There are similar chips for
wide, ultra-wide and so on.

Some vendors with that use this chip set include asus (sc-200), data
technolog (DTCxxx), diamond fireport, tekram, ...

This card is usually 1/2 the price of equiv adaptec (I think diamond tends
to be more expensive) and tends to give better results than adaptec cards.
At least one major vendor, Sun, used this chipset for years.

Alan