Re: [OM] NiCd vs. NiMH; cookies; Contax N-1; CCD sensors; Doris rants

Subject: Re: [OM] NiCd vs. NiMH; cookies; Contax N-1; CCD sensors; Doris rants
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 16:31:53 +1100
>Why do the British call cookies "biscuits" -- they aren't cooked twice.

Hmmm. (Switches to surly pedant mode). We are English, we speak English.
Don't know what the hell it is you lot are speaking. :-)
Why do you call chips 'french fries' when they aren't. What on earth is a
buffalo wing.

>(Of course, "cookie" could apply to ANY food that's cooked!) Anyhow, the
>very best
>commercial cookie is make by Keebler. It's two thick chocolate cookies with
>chocolate "fudge" between them. Forget about Pepperidge Farm Milanos (or
>whatever they're called). Too sweet.

Australian TimTam - as above but then dark chocolate covered. The US
olympic athletics team are reported to have developed an instant addiction.
Just scoffed two with a coffee  8-)

>I just saw something about a 16Mp sensor using cheaper CMOS (rather than CCD)
>fabrication. It's scheduled to be used in a back for the Hasselblad, in a
>three-chip/RGB filter arrangement that should provide truly film-like images.

Lot of discussion of this on the Photoforum site. Some think its the 'next
big step' others point out that CMOS technology is slow. Made by Fovecon I
think. Could be significant, could be BetaMax or cold fusion. Who knows.
Andrew
Last bastion of the true tongue.