Re: [OM] TOPE 2 update!

Subject: Re: [OM] TOPE 2 update!
From: Alasdair Mackintosh <alasdair.mackintosh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 13 Nov 2000 09:56:21 +0000
Alasdair Mackintosh <Alasdair.Mackintosh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Oops - I'd intended to send this to the list, rather than directly to
Oalf. (I mena, if you're going to praise people you ought to do it in
public..)

"Olaf Greve" <ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> It's not the
> first time I let a person get away with a shot taken outside of the shooting
> interval, but it is not something I plan on doing a lot either (Alasdair: re
> your comment to my TOPE 3 entry: I did consider submitting the picture of
> Karol, but decided that as a host I should set a good example ;) ). Anyway,
> I invite you all to take a look at the great new entry

And a brilliant entry it is too.

As one of the people who sneaked a picture into TOPE 2 that was taken
outside of the shooting period [*] (but whose shot was in any event
outclassed by so many of the others that it was something of a Phyrric
victory) I would hope that the rules can continue to allow a small amount
of flexibility. After all, TOPE isn't a competition so much as a way of
expanding our photography. In the previous events, I've been amazed at the
variety of approaches that people have taken to the themes. The sheer
inventiveness on display has been a delight, an inspiration and a
challenge, and I would hate to see a brilliant photograph go unseen if it
didn't quite make the date.

Obviously we ought to be trying to keep within the guidelines, but I hope
that the moderator can continue to show a little flexibility.

And I still reckon Olaf's portrait of his stepdaughter was one of the best
bokeh shots...

Alasdair

* In my defence, I would like to point out that when I crawled up into the
  dark confines of my attic, peering into the depths of long-sealed boxes
  and fighting off the man-eating dust-mites in order to find the buried box
  of slides, I did this within the shooting period.