Re: [OM] Bright focusing screens?

Subject: Re: [OM] Bright focusing screens?
From: "John Prosper" <japrosper@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 13:55:03 CST
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

At 12:52 PM 11/14/2000 -0500, Frank (frankrad4@xxxxxxxx) wrote:
>   I would like to try a brighter screen than the one that came with my
>OM-4.  I mostly have trouble when focusing on groups of people indoors.
>What screen should I try?  I know Olympus makes a 2-13 and 2-4 and then
>there are Beattie screens which are more expensive.  Are the Beatties
>much better?  Any thoughts about this would be appreciated.

Neither is better, IMHO. I own both the 2-14 and one of the Beatties. Both increase apparent brightness about the same amount. The 2-13 is less expensive, and (again IMHO) better-machined (i.e., more "refined") than the Beattie I've got. But I like 'em both.

Maybe it's just my eyes, but I've found that the Beattie can be hard to focus with short tele to normal to wide angle lenses. It comes into its own with medium to super teles though. I intend to dedicate at least one body with a Beattie screen for medium-super glass usage.

John