Re: [OM] New feature for OM5/6/D

Subject: Re: [OM] New feature for OM5/6/D
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 04:15:48 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, John Palmer wrote:

> Flash metering.
>
> Various people have pointed out that the TTL flash metering doesn't
> always work, specially for macro work as the subject is rather
> abnormal. Doris says that there is no substitute for learning your
> flash's characteristics and then doing the sums.

  No sums. Adjust your flash exp dials to reflect its real output.

> I'm just getting into macro and have been thinking about this.
> Presumably with a current body you could use an ordinary flash meter
> and take a reading from a grey card in the subject position.

  The elegant Contax RTS III does this. It has a built-in flash meter(!).
You can get readings from any unit that it will trigger.

   But the "D" series Nikons and EX Canons work on the same principle
as doing manual flash, basing exposure on the GN & distance between
flash and subject. This works exceptionally well, eliminating the
guessamatic aspects of reflectance, though you're still stuck with
your film's ability to handle contrast.

                                            *= Doris Fang =*