Re: [OM] Wedding tips?

Subject: Re: [OM] Wedding tips?
From: "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 18:31:02 -0000
John A. Lind wrote:
>...At least you've got some
> decent warning, can practice, and try some experiments first to see what
it
> will do.

A former employer bought a photographic studio and decided I'd make a
suitable wedding photographer. It took him several days to find me and he
offered me the job with only a day and a half before the first one was
scheduled. He was always an excellent salesman, and although I'd worked for
him long enough to know that, he talked me into doing them. If there'd been
more time I would probably have chickened out.

As it was, I enjoyed them and my wife and I continued for a year or so
before he decided to sell the business. I had one camera (a Zenith 80 with
two backs), one tripod and one flashgun - no backups and no real equipment
problems. When it ended, I asked another former employer, a manager of a
photographic shop, to sell the Zenith 80 for me. It was returned by the
buyer almost immediately - jammed up solid. The repairer said that a cam to
prevent the shutter being fired until the film had been fully transported
had been fitted the wrong way round and so was ineffective. The buyer had
done in an hour what I had luckily never tried to do in a year of weddings -
Phew!!

My advice would be to do what is reasonable to ensure that any possible
catastrophe is beyond your control and then go and enjoy it, and as you have
some time - train and rehearse with an assistant.

Regards,
Keith Berry