Re: [OM] [OT] Solvents and adhesive removal

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Solvents and adhesive removal
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 08:24:04 -0700
At 08:30 AM 11/17/2000 -0500, Susan Steele wrote:
>OK Lex., olde OSHA master of yore....may I ask for your opinion??
>
>I am scrapping off old speaker surround to apply new ones, and the
>instructions (from OZ) recommend cleaning the frame afterward with "methyated
>spirits"....any idea what this traslates to over here?

Susan:

"Methylated spirits" is primarily ethanol (you know, the kind of alcohol you
find in booze) with methanol added (you know, the kind of alcohol that can kill
you dead or leave you blind and brain-damaged).  Hence the "methylated."  You
might try high-proof vodka (if the ethanol's the active ingredient), methanol
(if that's the active ingredient) or perhaps isopropyl alcohol (also known as
"rubbing alcohol," and sold in various dilutions in drugstores here in Canada
-- I usually use the 990ure stuff rather than the 70%, to ensure that water
doesn't get into parts and perhaps contribute to corrosion).

Good luck.

Garth