Re: [OM] [OT] Solvents and adhesive removal

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Solvents and adhesive removal
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 08:55:16 -0700
At 02:49 PM 11/18/2000 +1100, Andrew Fildes wrote:
>Garth,
>I think the 70% you're referring to is 70 proof spirit - that's about 40%
>by volume actual ethanol. (Never understood that!) Much better with pure
>ethanol or isopropyl which, I think is the main component of video/audio
>head cleaning fluids.

Andrew:

Nah, it's 70%.  Alcohols not destined for human consumption are always referred
to in their percentage strengths in Canada, rather than proof.  Proof is also
rapidly becoming obsolete in the beverage sector -- most distilled spirits in
Canada now list their percentage of alcohol, although a few imported from the
U.S. and other places still use "proof."

The two strengths of isopropyl alcohol available in drugstores here are 70%
(the other 30% being water) and 99%.  I use the 99 0.000000or all kinds of
cleaning purposes of electronics, fine mechanicals, etc.  However, methanol is
still better for cleaning optics, I find.

Garth

"No, this is the Great Theatre of Life.  Admission is free, but the taxation is
mortal.  You come when you can, and leave when you must.  The show is
continuous.  Good-night."

   -- Robertson Davies
      1913 - 1995