[OM] Diopters, Glasses, etc

Subject: [OM] Diopters, Glasses, etc
From: "John Palmer" <john.palmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 18:58:32 -0000
Mike V tells us of his problems with spectacles misting up.

This problem made me turn to contact lenses. I photograph a lot of
rugby, which is a winter game in England, therefore it rains a lot!
And trying to ride a bicycle in rain or mist wearing specs isn't a lot
of fun.

Contact lenses are horrible things, but modern ones are remarkably
comfortable. After trying gas-permeable and soft lenses, I've settled
on disposables - wear them once and throw them away. No cleaning to
do, and no storage problems. Since I only wear them for photography
and cycling (i.e. weekends and vacations) they are not too expensive.

Non-throwaway lenses need regular cleaning. In theory you are supposed
to ditch the cleaning solutions after some period like 28 days. I
don't know whether this is just a scam on the part of the
manufacturers, but eyes are not things to take chances with. So it
means that even for occasional wear, the running costs come out the
same as wearing every day. The disposables just sit in their sterile
packs until you need them so for occasional use a batch will last a
long time.

John