Re: [OM] Diopters, Glasses, etc. and Lasik

Subject: Re: [OM] Diopters, Glasses, etc. and Lasik
From: DaEyeGuy@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 18:59:45 EST
Mike still hasn't responded about whether he wears bifocals (which makes a
HUGE difference in the answer to his vision problems in viewfinders), so I'll
comment on the surgury mentioned.

I cannot with any kind of a clear conscience recommend lasik surgury. (Please
keep in mind that, becasuse i am "in" the field, I can have the surgury for
free instead of $3000!) I know those of you that have heard (or, rather, have
read ) this before from me are wondering why I repeat. We are such a huge,
fast-growing group now that many have not heard or read it before, so I will
be redundant. The following is supported by my 26 years in this field and my
professional journals and newletters:

-at the best you will have a "lesser" prescription (they usually only
"promise" 20/40, not 20/20 in the ads) and 450f you will still need glasses
to correct the astigmatisn and distance/near that was not corrected.
-You ALL will still need glasses to read with as you age (this is rarely told
to you before sugury) as the normal hardening of the eye lens will occur
still....so you will not avoid glasses by doing this.
-970f the surguries have resulted in various degrees of light sensitivity,
varying from slight to acute
-800f the prior surguries have resulted in "halos" at night...from slight
to so bright that night vision was totally destroyed.
-because the cornea is "carved" in layers, it often results in a rippled
epithelia, which causes double and triple vision (uncorrectable)
-the newest figures from lawsuits are showing that a minimum of 5% will have
UNCORRECTABLE pain, double vision, or night blindness.
-please realize that this is a way for MD's to make big bucks at your
expense. They advertise and hawk this just like a satellite dish company. If
I found that my MD was recommending this procedure at this early,
experimental stage, I would find a new doctor....seriously.

There is a plethora of lawsuits now pending..so many that Good Morning
America recently had some of the plaintiffs on the show to descibe their
pain, blindness, how they can't work, forget driving, and at the very least
are totally blind from dusk on.

If you don't believe me, please go to:

www.sugicaleyes.com and read for yourself.

As photographers who know that you only have two eyes, and you cannot replace
them on eBay, you should know this is not for you. We treasure what we can
see and do not take it for granted.

Of the box now..
Susan

Susan Steele
Virginia USA

Susan Steele
Virginia USA
"Those who cast votes decide nothing, those who count the votes decide
everything."
(Joseph Stalin)