[OM] Weddings in Tasmania

Subject: [OM] Weddings in Tasmania
From: Dylan <dsut4392@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 19:25:20 +1100
Just found a few messages in my drafts folder, including this one -
sorry to get back to old topics

Stephen Border wrote:

> Well I've been manoeuvred into shooting my stepsons wedding in February and
> I'm starting to think seriously about what I'll be using and getting some
> practice in before the big day.
>
> Any comments or advice re gear, film, technique or escape plans would be
> most welcome :-)

snip

> The wedding is going to be held in a wooded nature reserve beside a beach in
> Tasmania around midday.

Let me guess - at the western end of Wineglass Bay? Somehow I have yet
to take the typical postcard shot from the lookout below Mt Amos. Or is
it somewhere that doesn't require a walk?

> I've been reading the various recent wedding posts as well as the digest and
> am wondering about the practicality of the following
>
> Film - Kodak Portra 160 and 400 NC or VC, possibly depending on the weather
> and lighting conditions. I've bought a roll of each to try, since I can't
> really get a good idea of the differences from the Kodak web pages. Both the
> bride and groom like B&W so I'm wondering if it's worth adding another film
> to this mix or simply use colour and print B&W as needed.

I always get good weather in Tassie (only 4 wet days out of a 3-4 months
total visits) so I would go for the 160. Otherwise you will find
yourself stopping down all the time and wasting the bokeh of your 100mm
zuiko.
If the couple really like B&W, you would do better to use a proper B&W
film to give you contrast control at the printing stage.

> Gear - 4ti with F280 for fill flash if needed, 4 with the T45 or T32/BG2 for
> fill (I have to fly with this stuff and the T45 is pretty heavy, esp with
> charger), 2sp in program mode, with the offbrand winder on a tripod and set
> to timer to get shots during the ceremony that I might otherwise miss (if I
> get a couple of keepers from a roll I'll be happy).
>
> Lenses would probably be 24,28,40 or 50,35-70,100 (my favourite portrait
> lens) and maybe the 65-200 but I'm thinking I would mainly use the 100 for
> the ceremony and maybe the 28 or 40 for the group shots.
>
> I'll probably also use the IS1000 & G40 just to make sure I get at least
> some keepers after the inevitable brain fade hits and to shoot the
> reception.  And I'll take a bucket load of batteries of all types.
>
> Then I wonder if I'm just trying to use all this gear to justify it's
> purchase to my SO and maybe I should try and keep it as simple as possible.
> Sorry for all the questions but I mainly do landscapes, I'm on a steep
> learning curve with this.

That sounds like a heck of a lot of gear. FWIW, I'm mostly a landscape
guy like yourself, but I would really attempt to minimise what you're
using. With a kit the size you're talking about, you'll spend the whole
time thinking about the equipment instead of the people and the
photographic opportunities - remember the KISS principle. Get familiar
with the kit that you'll be using, and know the location like the back
of your hand before the day. That way you can plan the pictures and
vantage points - most places in the outdoors have interesting details
which would be impossible to find in the heat of the moment but could
transform a good picture into a great one.
Given the scenic location (even if it's not the location I'm thinking
of!) I would take the 24mm to place your subjects in the landscape - I
would alternate this with the 35-70 on one body (either the 4 or 2sp)
for the candids and 'artistic' shots. On the other body (4ti) I would
stick with just the 100 and the f280 for fill if needed - this would be
your formal portraits body. I like long teles as they can make for
interesting candid pictures of people who are on the fringes of the
party, but as the main photog you may not have much time for this.
Perhaps keep the 65-200 on your 3rd body in the camera bag, and plan to
only bring it out if there is an idle moment.
Dylan