Re: [OM] Advice needed for DisneyWorld, Florida

Subject: Re: [OM] Advice needed for DisneyWorld, Florida
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 19:58:25 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, [iso-8859-1] Arnab Banerjee wrote:

> Hi all,
> Planning to make a trip to DisneyWorld (Florida)
> around the first week of December. Heard that all the
> kids are in school then so should be the least crowded
> time of the year.

    I think this is true.

> Have browsed thru quite a few
> guidebooks, but could not find any useful photography
> tips. So to all the list members who have been to
> Orlando ? any pointers?

  Number one, and this is important !

  Be parked and AT the gate at least one hour before the park is
officially scheduled to open. It *always* opens earlier than stated. When
it opens, hit the first big ride or two, and then head to the left, not
the right. You'll make great time and see less people throughout the day.

> First, how do you manage the camera and lenses in the
> theme parks when you go on rides? Strap them on and
> hold on for dear life? Or leave the cameras somewhere?
> (Lockers?). What has been your experience?

  The rides are relatively mild, g-wise. You can take them
with you on most rides. Something to remember is: DO NOT stick your arms
out while you're on rides where you can't see what's there (like to get a
shot). It can result in terrible injuries (there's a few reported each
year).

> Next, what would be good to take?

   Remember: It's a LOOOOONG day. You'll have family and/or
friends along. If you're taking kids, you should take water
and some energizing snacks. Prepare by taking your family on
long hikes before going. I'd advise you taking the barest
minimum to Wally World. As little as possible. IMO,  A 35-70
or 35-105 should see you through. Remember, you're not going
to have as much time as you think for shooting, and nabbing shots
 street-shooting style, on the fly, end up being the main of it. As to
flash, if you're using a fast film (a good idea here, at least ISO 400),
you can  get away with a T-20. A spare Stylus/Epic is probably a good
idea.
I personally favor wides, and have nabbed some of my best shots
there with a 24/2 and 85/2 kit  (in a lowe-pro fanny pack).

> A wide or tele? Or
> just take one body with an all purpose 35-70? But if I
> don?t have a tele, I might miss out on a few wildlife
> shots in the Animal Kingdom. On the other side, lug a
> tele and miss out on all the rides? Or leave my OM
> home and take just a point and shoot ? (not relishing
> this prospect)

  Leave the tele behind. It's not such a bad idea to take just
a quality (OM of course) P&S. Yes, you'll miss some shots,
but your family will be happier with you, and you'll feel
much better at the end of the day. Take all the film and batteries
you think you'll need, since prices in Wally World are high.
Having said all that, I have gone to WW with only a P&S (XA) one time,
(3 sets of extra AA's, 10 rolls)  and it worked out well.
The KISS principle works splendidly on long days. You'll get
different shots than you would have with a bag full, but you'll be able to
concentrate infinitely better, and your shots will show it.

> Third, what are the photogenic spots in an around
> Orlando? Cypress gardens? (the cypress trees?)

  Cypress Gardens is another theme park, very different, with
an old-timey feel. Sea World is closer to WW and really different,
what with a nature theme. Worth the visit (specially if you have kids
in tow). Some nice towns to visit are Mt. Dora and/or (closer to WW)
Winter Park, places to relax. There's a great lake-tour boat ride
in WP, btw. For nature, you might want to scout any of the numerous
state parks in the area. If you want to see more of central Florida's
nature, you could make the 2+ hr drive to OCala National Forest. No palms,
but plenty of forest. I'd browse the web and try to line up a boat
ride with a guide or rent a canoe out of a fish camp. It's a big place if
you're not famliar with it. Bird and gator shots there. There's some good
parks near the St. Johns river.  You have the Space Center at about the
same driving time, and that's something a lot of people enjoy. Don't
forget Daytona Beach, though that's a different kind of wildlife, it's
a good tourist experience.

> Worthwhile making a trip to the everglades for a day
> at the cost of missing out a theme park?

  Well...that depends on how much time you have. It takes a good long
4-5 hrs of driving to get there (if you expertly avoid traffic...it could
take MUCH longer). At this time of year, you'll see plenty of birds
and some gators (take the 600) if you show up at dawn. Nearby, there'll be
plenty of beaches and palms. But this will cost you at least 2 days,
since it takes a LONG day to see part of the Glades NP. If you open
jaws your way back from Miami. Be careful you don't
overdo so much that it winds up more like a military operation than
a vacation.  We've all been there & done that, and it IS tempting...
but resist, you'll enjoy yourself much more.

                                         *= Doris Fang =*