[OM] Re: [OT] A Day Of Thanks

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] A Day Of Thanks
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 04:30:46
Wonderful story, Susan. My own dear 86 y/o granny - who officially reached twice my age yesterday when I turned 43 (it's all catch-up from here...couple more centuries and we'll be about the same age) - received a PC from her eldest son about 3 years ago. Best thing that could have happened for her - she'd been quite lonely since losing granddad 6 years ago.

She got a CompuServe account and resumed writing poetry, something she hadn't done since the 1950s. She's quite good. I'm not a big fan of traditional poetry but she has a knack for turning a verse, witty and true. The online companionship has been a blessing for her, tho' it's extremely doubtful she'd ever consider remarrying.

And while I occasionally worry over her slightly increasing forgetfulness I figure she's entitled to spend the day in her pajamas now and then and stack mystery novels several feet high next to her bed. She does her daily crosswords to ward off "old-timer's" disease, as we call it 'round here - she figures that if she starts forgetting those familiar crossword puzzle clues it's time to start worrying. So far, no worries.

Better yet, this week she found her two "favorite" pots (at that age, isn't everything a favorite?) and a pantsuit that for weeks she'd been certain the gremlins had stolen. So, she has much to be thankful for.

Me, I'm thankful for the usual suspects - my family and especially my grandsons. And, somewhat topical, to you OM listfolk who have helped invigorate my photo-life with spirited, intelligent communication. It's always tricky to make these public pronouncements - what if I forget someone? - but you, you, you, you, you and you...no, sorry, the person behind you...yeh, you...thanks a bunch. You're the best. ;)

Lex Jenkins
"For the third consecutive year I'm thankful Lex didn't eat me."
- Hobble Gobble