Re: [OM] Modifying Olympus Screens

Subject: Re: [OM] Modifying Olympus Screens
From: Gregg Iverson <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 14:11:16 -0500
Frank,

This sounds like a practical solution. Dentists are used to working with small scale items and exacting specifications. You might just have arrived at an assembly line solution to engraving. What about inserting pegs in the mould so the straightedge would be even less likely to move? Of course, that would limit the number of ways you could scribe the screen.

Gregg

Frank wrote:

I talked about this subject with a friend of mine who is a dentist.
We concluded that the first step in the process will be to make a
frame for the screens, i.e. a mould which the screens fit exactly into
and - most important-  with edges which are only a tiny bit thicker
than the thickness of those screens.

With the new screen  (the one to be modified) embedded in the mould,
it must be much easier to put a ruler on the screen to guide the
blade. Or more precisely (if the edges have the right thickness!) to
put a ruler just above the screen, with a few microns of air in
between. The rubber-like material will prevent the ruler from
shifting.