Re: [OM] Pics from my 75/150 Zuiko zoom

Subject: Re: [OM] Pics from my 75/150 Zuiko zoom
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 13:14:42 -0800
In a message dated 11/22/00 11:32:01 PM Pacific Standard Time, xyyc@xxxxxxxx
writes:

 > http://jahudson.tripod.com/TEMP/34-400NC.jpg

  I have yet to discover the reason for the flaring seen in one of the two
  images. If anyone has any opinions about this please let me know on or
  off list. As far as extent to which the lens captured extremely final
  detail is concerned I have concluded that my Leica M lenses would have
  done no better.

I have my own private theory on lens flare and have never seen it expressed
anywhere before. Anyway, lens designers create lens for the contrast range
found in common scenes and exposed onto common films, black and white or
color. Many times, the contrast of a scene will exceed that "normal contrast
range" and what will happen is flare just like seen in #34 above. Your scene
may well have had a 12 to 15 stop range of exposure values and was way beyond
the design capabilities of your lens.

Warren

My understanding that flare is just uncontrolled reflection inside the lens. That is why there are multicoatings for lenses, inside blacking of lens barrels, and aspheric lens designs to reduce the number of lens elements. That is why a relatively slow modern, single focal length is usually better that a zoom with this kind of picture - few elements, multi-coated, and a well designed barrel.

Winsor
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA