[OM] FS: 300mm F2.8 (re-posted)

Subject: [OM] FS: 300mm F2.8 (re-posted)
From: Dr Peter Gilbert <peterg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 14:34:02 +1100
Sent this just before the Zuiko server went down on Friday., thought I ought to send it again.

**********

Hi all

well , I never thought I would actually one day be the owner of the wonderful Zuiko 350mm F2.8 , but that day has finally come. Boy is this puppy BIG !!!!!!! (and HEAVY !!!)

(By the way, I entirely blame Mike Veglia for this major Zuikoholic relapse, and another list member who recently posted something along the lines of "I wanted to own a Zuiko 350mm F2.8 again before I die"..... own up whoever you are !!! Was it Gary Faulkenberry ????)

Anyway

This addition to my Zuiko family means that it has come time to part with my trusty OM-mount Sigma 300mm F2.8.

It is an IF, multi-coated, apochromatic lens. I purchased it new about 2-3 years ago and - as you can imagine with an expensive lens like this - it has been treated with kid-gloves. The lens is absolutely like-new, and includes original box, carry case, vinyl draw-string soft lens hood, all filters, paperwork and other original accessories.

The exterior of the lens is a gloss grey-metallic finish, with a textured rubber focus ring. As the focusing is IF (ie lens length doesn't change) you aren't moving large chunks of glass so focusing is extremely light and quick. And talk about things "snapping" into focus....... !!

This is a REALLY nice lens - I just can't justify keeping it AND a 300/4.5 AND a 350/2.8

Details:

Lens Hood:              Built-in sliding type

Tripod Mount:   Built-in, rotating type

Aperture Range:         F2.8  -  22

Close focus:    2.5m  (Mag  approx 1 to 7.6)

Filters :               30.5mm rear drop in
                (Included are UV ; Red R60; Yellow Y52 ; Orange O56)

Weight:         Approx 2.3kg

Includes:               Lens
                Original Soft draw-string hood
                Original rear lens cap
                Original Box
                Original "leatherette" Carry Case
                Original drop-in Filters (4, listed above)
                Original Strap
                Instruction/Specification Sheet
                Warranty Sheet
                Original (unused) Sigma cleaning cloth

Condition:              Like New In Box
                (no marks on exterior AT ALL, faintest cleaning swirls on front
element sometimes visible in right light, right angle. No effect whatsoever on picture quality)

I don't really have a good idea of what something like this goes for secondhand, especially not in LNIB condition, but I'm asking....

If purchased within Australia: AU $2200 ono (including Aust Post COD postage and insurance) If purchased outside Australia: US $1195 ono (including OS air post and insurance)

New price was just under A$4300 when I purchased it. I have had it valued and insured for Aus$5500, but I'm pretty sure you can't actually purchase OM mount MF 300/2.8 lenses anymore from Tokina or Sigma anymore. Tamron have the MF SP 300/2.8 (Adaptall II) on their web site listed at US$4086, not sure what it goes for on the street.

One drawback of the Sigma 300/2.8 is that even though it works with the Zuiko 2x TC (600mm/5.6), it won't work with the 1.4x TC (looks like not enough clearance to rear element - I was never game to try it).

One plus with the Sigma 300/2.8 is that it is just over half the weight of the Zuiko 350/2.8 (2.3kg versus 3.9kg)

Pictures of the lens and accessories and further info can be viewed at

http://www.deakin.edu.au/~peterg/photo/fs/default.htm

Payment for overseas buyer via Bank Draft, within Australia via Australia Post COD.

if interested please reply off-list to me at :      peterg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'd rather sell to the Oly List than go thru e-bay for such a hard-to-find item, and I think the pricing is reasonable (let me know if you disagree).

thanx all

peter

Dr Peter Gilbert
Information Technology Manager