Re: [OM] Tamron interchangeable lens mounts

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron interchangeable lens mounts
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 11:17:24 -0800
On Sun, 19 Nov 2000, Larry <lgriffin@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>There is a 80-250 f/3.8 Tamron for auction. The seller says that the
>mount is an early interchangeable(?) system that Tamron had prior to the
>Adaptall mount. The mount screws in to the lens. Does any know of this
>lens mount?

... to which Warren Kato responded:

>Although the price might be tempting, you know the "T" in "T-mount" came
>from Tamron or its predecessor, Taisei.

The above lens which Larry G. won (congrat's!), is in the so called
"Adaptamatic" interchangeable mount.  It is indeed a predecessor of
the Adaptall and the current Adaptall-2 systems (more on those later).

The Adaptamatic adapter rings are indeed threaded into the Auto Tamron
lens rear.  However, they are completely different from the "T-mount".
As the "Auto Tamron" name implies, the Adaptamatic system enables an
automatic aperture coupling between the camera and the lens, whereas
the T-mount does no such thing.

Appearance-wise, Adaptamatic rings look nothing like the T-mounts.
I have only seen them in Konica and Miranada mounts, and was quite
surprised to learn that there exists an Adaptamatic ring in OM mount.

I'd thought that when the first OM bodies and lenses went into mass
production -- in 1973, the Adaptamatic system was already history.
(Hmmm, apparently I was wrong...  D*mn!)  Anyway, hopefully when
Larry G. receives his lens, he will post a picture of this rare OM
Adaptamatic ring.

Unlike Adaptamatic, the Adaptall/Adaptall-2 system is more advanced,
and its adapters bayonet-mount on the lenses.  Recently, I acquired
an Adaptall-1 ring in OM mount.  Again, I'd thought that Adaptall-1
system preceeded the OM's, and hence there were no such adapters in
OM mount.  Wrong, wrong, wrong! :-(

Interestingly, the OM Adaptall-1 ring has 3 equally spaced screws on
its lens flange (no good for OM-4), and -- surprise, surprise(!) --
no DOF preview lever!  Apparently, this OM ring is intended for use
with the Tamron lenses which have "AUTO/MANUAL" toggle switch built
into the lens itself.  (The Tamron lenses and accessories from this
era are easily recognizable by their distinctive "tamron" logo: all
lower-case letters with an elongated cross-stroke on the "t".)

If there's any interest, and as time permits, I'll post some picts
of a sample Tamron lens with an AUTO/MANUAL switch, as well as of
the Adapall-1 OM ring.

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxx