Re: [OM] Re: Need Help from Canada..(OT)

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Need Help from Canada..(OT)
From: coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 14:39:03 -0700
> Surely customs wouldn't gig you for something that isn't even a gift, but
> merely property being returned.  ~$^)

That's a novel idea, Lex, and I might try it sometime.  But, the Gov'ment
of Canada's policy is to "charge first, and let them apply for a refund."
For instance, that's what they do on a repair coming back from the States
that's insured for full value.  You pay the duty/tax on the full value, and
then apply for a refund of the duty/tax on the difference between full
value and the actual repair cost.  I'm *STILL* waiting for a refund that I
applied for 6 weeks ago!  (SIGH!)

Too bad there's no longer a Rhinoceros Party in Canada (same as the Peace &
Freedom Party in the States), or I'd be voting for THEM tonight!  <G>

Regards,

Chris