[OM] A store worth visiting

Subject: [OM] A store worth visiting
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 23:18:18
I visited The Camera Exchange store in Austin during Thanksgiving weekend and received a pleasant surprise. While they don't carry much in the way of OM gear (I think there was an OM-2something and an OM-2000) there were a couple of goodies in the bargain box. One of 'em was a hood for the 50/1.8, 50/1.4, 35/2.8, the funky clamp on type which I'd neglected to get for myself from a Fort Worth store this summer before it closed down.

They humored me while I pawed through their used Leicas (I didn't even bother to peer through the NIB M6, fearing drool might decrease salability - and I prefer the older III-series anyway; more OMish). Then when I asked how much for the OM hood the young lady said, "How 'bout free?" Well, ya coulda dropped an anvil on me. So I bought an overpriced roll of Fuji Provia 100F - but then she discounted it from $9+ list to $6 at the register. Now *that's* a store worth supporting.

Now I'm regretting not checking the price of an OM copy stand in the bargain bin. At the time I couldn't think of a use for it, but now I can. Anyhow, you folks in the Austin area might get a good deal on it if you're interested.

Unfortunately I spent most of the four days at my cousin's house with a migraine so I didn't get out as much as I'd liked. Thought about calling Tom Scales but didn't want to intrude on a holiday weekend. Tried to hook up with Dave Bulger but our schedules didn't coordinate. I'll try again in a few months. Beautiful area - sometimes I forget how varied Texas can be.

Oh, yeh - found a couple pieces of petrified wood on the gravel bed of the railroad tracks behind my cousin's house. Dang stuff gets around.

Lex Jenkins
"Don't worry about everything 'cause nothing's gonna be alright."
- Casey Lechmanski