Re: [OM] Need Help from Canada..(OT)

Subject: Re: [OM] Need Help from Canada..(OT)
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 00:25:08 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Andrew Fildes wrote:

> There have to be ways around this. Charging tax on second-hand items is
> plain evil. As I was just saying to Chris O' - how do they deal with loans,
> cross border hiring, repairs sent to the US and returned and similar
> instances which are simply NOT purchases?

I'm not one to support these insane taxes (especially ones coming from the
parliamentary crooks that just got re-elected tonight!), but this particular
tax does make sense.  If you think about it, when you bring a used item
into a country, no taxes have ever been paid on it.  Used items sold within
a country did have tax paid at some point in time, usually when it was sold
new.  It's only fair that the imported used item be taxed just like the new
item was when it was sold within the country.  What I really disagree with
is the tax that needs to be paid on repairs performed outside the country.
If John H in NY repairs something for me, I need to pay 7 0ST on his fee.
Now that's insane.
                                -mark