Re: [OM] I love my 16mm

Subject: Re: [OM] I love my 16mm
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 07:50:52 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Dr Peter Gilbert wrote:

> The place is called the "Valley of the Giants", and instead of it
> being left as pristine wilderness and a place where people can come
> from all over the world and marvel at these magnificent, beautiful
> trees, permission has been apparently granted to let loggers chop
> them down.

  This sort of thing is happening all over the globe as politicians
cave in to logging interests.

> But wait for it - the most depressing news is that the wood isn't
> even going to be turned into exquisite furniture, or crafts or even
> polished floors that might at least last for generations and be
> appreciated by people - it is to be woodchipped and shipped to Japan
> for pulp to make paper.

  Just like most of the old-growth trees cut down in Alaskan forests
go to make shipping PALLETS (!). In the case of paper, we do have a
renewable resource: Hemp. It was rendered illegal at the urging  of
(and palm-greasing by) Randolph Hearst, who owned huge tracts of
timber land and stood to profit directly. During WWII, hemp cultivation
was encouraged, and afterwards, it was made illegal again.

> When I was in the US a couple of years ago, we visited (of course)
> magical places like Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon, Yosemite etc. Just to
> be able to touch the giant sequoia's in Mariposa Grove was something
> I will never ever forget, and I would like to think that my
> grandchildren might be able to share the same experience.

   Magical places indeed. I was there this year, in all three of the parks
you mention, and the same feeling ran through me. Like a child awestruck
in a cathedral, it is always an epiphany.

                                 *= Doris Fang =*