Re: [OM] a few questions.

Subject: Re: [OM] a few questions.
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 20:41:28
Difficult to determine. Kiron was actually the retail brand name used by Kino Precision Optical Corp. when they decided to market their own lenses after a business dispute with Vivitar (source: "Cult Classics in Third Party Lenses" web page, information compiled from various sources by Robert Monaghan).

Here's a table from the "Cult Classics" website which may help you identify the maker of your lens:

===============================
Vivitar Series I 70-210mm Zooms
-------------------------------
1974 31 oz 6 1/8 inch Kiron  1:2.2 f/3.5   macro button
1982 25 oz 5 5/8 inch Tokina 1:4   f/3.5   macro
1984 30 oz 5 5/8 inch Komine 1:2.5 f/2.8-4 macro (beyond 150mm only)

I've seen several examples in various mounts of Vivitar Series 1 and Kiron lenses, and have yet to see a Kiron lens that was an exact duplicate of a Series 1 lens. But I'm far from an authority on the subject, merely an avid dilettante.

Other manufacturers of Series 1 lenses for Vivitar include Tokina and Komine. I like to *think* I can tell the difference based on how well a particular model from the Series 1 line has held up. For example, I'm inclined to believe Kino made the best of the Series 1 line and that these Vivitars tend to retain smooth focusing and zooming, readily identifiable aperture click stops and smooth diaphragm operation longer than others - but this is absolutely pure guesswork based on my observations of how well Kiron lenses have held up over time.

Naturally since all the samples I've handled are used, the condition depends tremendously on care given by previous owners. But both "Fat Vivs" I've owned - the Series 1 28-90/2.8-3.5 varifocal - retained very smooth focus and push/pull zoom mechanisms that did not slip, along with precise aperture click stops and half-stops. The downside is that this was the largest and heaviest of Vivitar's midrange zooms. It's a fair compromise. But no comparison with most of the Zuiko midrange zooms in terms of size/weight.
Lex Jenkins
"Don't worry about everything 'cause nothing's gonna be alright."
- Casey Lechmanski

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 17:01:17 +0000 (GMT)
From: P Bernad <P.Bernad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

- -I owe a 70-210 Vivitar series 1 lens. It is f =3.5. What I do not know is whether it is the Kiron lens or not.