[OM] Newbie greets all

Subject: [OM] Newbie greets all
From: "tiptop@xxxxxxxxx" <tiptop@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 20:13:19 -0500
    Hello everyone, it seems I have run across a very knowledgeable and
devoted group of Olympus fans here.  It's been over 20 years since I've
used an SLR and I have a lot of learning (and a little relearning) ahead
of me.  I am awaiting delivery of an OMG body purchased recently on EBay
and am planning to mate it with my only lens- a Vivitar 135/2.8 auto
telephoto.  At present my planned additions are limited to a 50 mm and a
flash, as my main need is to accumulate some "shooting time" with my new
camera.
    Now for my first question to the group.  The camera I purchased is
lacking a black, rectangular (approx. 3 x 1/2 x 1/8) "box" for lack of a
better description, which is located on the front of the camera in line
with the film advance lever.  I've now seen this item on all other OMGs
pictured on EBay and fear I've goofed.  Can anyone fill me in on what
this thing is and will it keep me from using the camera until I can
locate one?

TIA

 Mike Luks
Fairfax Virginia