Re: [OM] Performance of the 35/2 ?

Subject: Re: [OM] Performance of the 35/2 ?
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 01:12:24 +0100
On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 02:23:03PM +0100, Rainer Wagner wrote:
> Hi all,
> is anybody using a 35/ 2 Zuiko? Better or worse than the 2.8?
> What about the edge performance wide open? Has anybody tried starfield shots?
> Thanks for your help!

Yes, I`m using one ( but not for starfield shots), and I like it. But edge
performance
 usually isn`t a main issue when designing a fast lens = lens for available
light/
 journalism where the main subject is in the center.

This is obvius when I compare the MTF-curves of 27 35mm-lenses tested in 1980.
All 6 F/2-Examples do suffer from edge fall-off. This is also visible in a
CoFo-MTF
test from 1996, which was titled: "the better wide angle-lenses".
The Zuiko 2/35 was tested in both cases.

The strenght of The Zuiko 2/35 is it`s very high brilliance with good sharpness
(over the field, but not in the corner) when stopped down at F/4. I was amazed
by this
several times. Wide open it is still good enough, while some opponent`s are
better.
 The edge fall of starts from 18~20mm from the center, and is not as dramatic
as seen compared to opponents.

The Zuiko 2.8/35 is better in the corner, and contrastier wide open.  But I
think both
 35mm lenses are very fine ones. between all Zuiko WA-lenses the slower ones
have
 better performance in the corner. But the fast ones are pretty well over the
field of the image,
 and this at a larger apperture, so any of them is a good choce.

Take care not to buy too old lenses. I never regreted to swap my 2.8/35mm for a
2.0/35 altough
 I needed the fast aperture only once in five years of usage and I like this
shot very much.

Frieder Faig
Nürtingen