Re: [OM] Need Help from Canada..(OT)

Subject: Re: [OM] Need Help from Canada..(OT)
From: Gregg Iverson <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 22:17:29 -0500
It's the easiest way for us to get to Cuba. :-)

Gregg

jh wrote:

Here in greater Vancouver, "0 Avenue" runs parallel to the US border for several miles.On one side are upper scale detached houses with sidewalk ["footpath" as it's known in the UK] and what would be the sidewalk on the other side of the two lane avenue is a shallow ditch the centre of which is the US/Canadian border beyond which is open space quite suitable for walking, exercising one's pets, etc. The US has indicated recently that it intends to start laying motion detectors, spy cameras, and such like all along the border to keep a track of its citizens who might wish to enter Canada illegally. Considering that tobacco, alcohol, groceries, OM cameras, and gasolene are about twice the price on our side of the border I have a hard time figuring why the US would want to install border detection devices.