Re: [OM] Huon Pines [was: I love my 16mm

Subject: Re: [OM] Huon Pines [was: I love my 16mm
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 19:38:39 +1100
OK - I cheated a bit - see why here -
http://www.theage.com.au/daily/990703/news/specials/news20.html
but note the 43,000years+ date on the Lomatia tasmanica! :-)
Huon Pine is a bit special - it doesn't rot. A fallen log was carbon dated
at over 22,000 years since death and it was still millable. Unbelievable
timber. So valuable now that they've logged them under water with air
driven saws in dam drowned vallies. Old boats made of it are more
collectable than white Zuikos.
And just to keep on topic - nice rainforest pic of a sapling here, probably
not taken with an OM.
http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/veg/huon1.html
Andrew