Re: Using autofocus, was [OM] Fw: Mike Swaim....

Subject: Re: Using autofocus, was [OM] Fw: Mike Swaim....
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 18:58:24 +1100
 A recent magazine interview with pro superbike photographer Kel Edge
>said he used 180 and 500mm (Canons IIRC) with 1.4x & 2x converters to fit
>the circumstances. He made a vague comment about using some kind of mode
>which _intimated_ that he used manual focus, but re-reading it I decided it
>must be a feature to stop the lens hunting.

I believe some of the big auto-focus lenses have a 'limited AF' feature
which cuts out the closest focussing range when you don't need it (most of
the time in sports) and, as this is often three-quarters of the focussing
travel, this speeds things up enormously by shortening the length of
'hunting.'
Andrew