Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1994

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1994
From: ZuikoholicRI@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 11:26:52 EST
In a message dated 11/30/2000 10:42:45 AM Eastern Standard Time,
tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Hello all, I have just bought an OM4 with a 50mm 1.4
>
> Is this a good buy? I am thinking that I should give it back and rather get
> the OM2sp. Less money and same quality?
>
> What do you guys think?

Sounds like a religious question :-)

I own both an OM-4 and an OM-2S. In a lot of ways they are very similar. I
believe the OM-2S is based on the OM-4 chassis.

OM-4: High points - GREAT multi-spot metering. Once you learn to use it (not
necessarily a simple task) there is really no lighting situation you can't
handle. The highlight and shadow buttons are nice. I don't use them often,
but when I do they are real handy to have. Spot mode works in Auto. Works
with the motor drive to 5fps (the OM-2S only goes to 3.5fps with the motor).
Also does power rewind with the MD2. As Tom said, if you have one with the
OM-4Ti circuit in it, it's a keeper. At they very least you could sell it
quickly to someone on the list! Even if it does have the old circuit, you can
still put a OM-4Ti circuit in it (although that's an expensive proposition).

OM-4: Low points - price (compared to the OM-2S)

OM-2S: High points - price. Program mode - a lot of people say they never use
it, but I frequently use my OM-2S as a point-and-shoot
(point-focus-and-shoot?). It's handy when you want to hand the camera to
someone who doesn't know cameras. Having said that, the OM-2S is really a
poor substitute for a P&S. I really need to get myself a Stylus Epic. A lot
of people liek teh way that spot mode is always "on" when you are in manual.
I'm kind of indifferent to that. I can do a similar thing with the OM-4 by
pressing teh spot button (I get a real-time spot reading, plus I can compare
it easily to the reading I took when the spot button was pressed).

Both are great cameras. If they are in good condition you can't go wrong with
either. Maybe you should get both, use them for a while, and if you can bear
it, resell the least favorite on the list?

Paul
wrote-that-last-transparent-suggestion-even-though-he-already-has-5-OM-bodies-

and-doesn't-really-want-to-see-another-one-FS-on-the-list Schings