Re: [OM] Canoscan

Subject: Re: [OM] Canoscan
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 11:39:22 -0800
In a message dated 11/30/2000 Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
writes:

<< I don't think the Minolta is as Mac friendly as the Canon or as well
accessoried although potential resolution is a little higher. >>

I have a Minolta Quick Scan 35 and it has never been a problem on my Mac
G3 (original beige version, sys 9.0, Photoshop 5.5, latest Minolta
driver/PS Plug-In downloaded from the web). I have scanned around 1000
slides just in the past 2 months alone (I know, I need an auto feeder
slide scanner) and never a hickup. Macs and SCSI devices seldom present
a problem to get working together. It is getting SCSI devices to work on
them other computers that makes me pull my hair out. USB isn't the magic
end all answer but it sure seems to work better in the Wintel world than
SCSI (at least on my day-job office Dell PC). Thing is that most slide
scanners are SCSI. I wouldn't worry about it with a modern Mac. If I
were slide scanner shopping for a PC I would know up front that some
fiddling may be required to get things working right. Please, no
platform war threads as a result of this mention of Macs and PCs.

As I mentioned in a private message to Andrew, I have heard nothing but
good things about the FS2710 as a low cost slide scanner so if it is the
one he can get the best deal on, to go for it.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com