[OM] "...and the Times, They Are a Changin'..."

Subject: [OM] "...and the Times, They Are a Changin'..."
From: DaEyeGuy@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 22:54:01 EST
image66@xxxxxxxxx writes:
> Does lightning strike twice?  Olympus just may have
>  done it again 27 years after the first strike!
>  >  Ken Norton

I often think that one of the reasons that I and others have been so
disappointed in the "downturn" of Olympus' prestige in the pro and
non-auto-focusing market is that we loved basking in the glow and glory of
their engineering brilliance. Pride of ownership can be a heavy aphrodisiac.
Well I remember walking around in the late 70's/early 80's with my setup and
men would literally gape, come up and ask to see it, etc....and, while my
vanity would like to think that it was merely the the aura of my beauty <g>
that attracted them, I know what part the cameras played (or how they
helped..ah....) Anyway, to then have to sit by while said fame and glory
faded slowly can be somewhat painful to the Old Faithful amongst us. When
store clerks practically in swaddling  would say "Olym...????...no, we
haven't had lenses for them in years..." it cut to the very core.

I'll admit that I have enjoyed somewhat the way Olympus has excelled in the
digital field and, by thrusting so forcefully into that area, is now becoming
strong again in the public eye.  I'll admit I'm just shallow enuf to love
having things that others covet <g>...and, altho that may not be the reason I
originally coveted them at all, nor even the most important reason that I
still do, it certainly does contribute to my neverending fondness...

I do not think it sacrilege to jump herewith into the realm of digital,
especially as it is now of a quality with which one can indeed make money, be
it instantly (weddings, sports events) or more "normal". Our enduring love
for the quality of the product can also carry over into other Olympus gear.
And a deep-seated fear that our gear will become outdated and obsolete need
not cost your pocketbook by foolishly avoiding modernization.  My Grandmother
often told how she hated the Model-T's when they came out, and when a beau
would come to pick her up she would go put on an old frock to avoid the
sparks and ashes. But even she came to realize that it sure beat the heck out
of walking. And digital will surely save time and offer new ways to profit.
As long as it says "Olympus" on the outside, all is fair and acceptable.
Susan
who felt terribly guilty when she bought her IS-1, but now loves it too

Susan Steele
Amherst, VA USA
The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where
all