[OM] 4T spot meter woes: Please advise

Subject: [OM] 4T spot meter woes: Please advise
From: Jim Terazawa <jimt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 23:53:11 -0600
This very subject was initiated by a fellow List member about 4 years
ago - sorry I don't remember his name.  I remember very well that he
forwarded strings of email correspondences between him and Oly Europe
to this List.  I believe he did not get satisfactory answer from
them.

I think basically what we concluded was that the 4T(i) spot measurement
are indeed underexpose anywhere between -1 1/2 to -1/3 stops from
center weighted measurement depending on the lens' focal lengths used
and what 4T(i) tested by List members including myself. I also remember
that the OM-4 had less underexposure variances between spot and CW
measurements.  Please correct me if my memories are wrong.  For me,
the use of spot meter was never a problem with reversal films such
as KR, KM, or RDP.

Jim Terazawa

Dogbreath wrote:
<snip>

> When focused on a uniformly luminous composition - say, a gray card - will
> a spot reading come up one stop under your center-weighted overall reading?
> Even under the most controlled conditions (camera on sticks, frame filled
> with evenly-illuminated gray card), the spot meter is one stop less
> sensitive. Not good.
>
> The presence of this shortcoming in my camera means that I have to
> compensate each time I use the spot meter. That's an extra step I'd rather
> leave out. This camera was overhauled by Photosphere not too long ago, so
> I'm not suspecting a misadjustment.

<snip>